NT Workstation can not access shares

Jesus Colprim jesus at lequia1.udg.es
Wed Nov 19 09:09:58 GMT 1997

I had also this problem and I solved it accessing at the windows NT
register. The problem is that samba used non encripted password and
Windows NT uses them as a the user "guest". If you look at the samba log
file you will find:
access guest no available

To solve this, on the windows NT: (ref. microsoft kb)
1. Run Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2. From the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, go to the following key:

   \system\currentcontrolset\services\rdr\parameters

3. Click Add Value on the Edit menu.

4. Add the following:

      Value Name: EnablePlainTextPassword

      Data Type: REG_DWORD

      Data: 1

5. Click OK and then quit Registry Editor.

6. Shut down and restart Windows NT.

****************
DOCUMENT:Q166730  10-SEP-1997  [winnt]

TITLE   :With Unencrypted Password SP3 Fails to Connect to SMB Server

PRODUCT :Microsoft Windows NT

PROD/VER:4.0

OPER/SYS:winnt

KEYWORDS:NTSrvWkst kbnetwork kbbuglist kbfixlist

 - Microsoft Windows NT Workstation version 4.0

 - Microsoft Windows NT Server version 4.0

SYMPTOMS

========

After upgrading your Windows NT 4.0 computer to Service Pack 3 (SP3),
you

are unable to connect to SMB servers (such as Samba or Hewlett-Packard
(HP)

LM/X or LAN Manager for UNIX) with an unencrypted (plain text) password.

When attempting to connect after you upgrade to Windows NT 4.0 Service

Pack 3, you receive the following error message:

   System error 1240 has occurred.

   The account is not authorized to login from this station.

Connecting to SMB servers (such as Samba or Hewlett-Packard (HP) LM/X or

LAN Manager for UNIX) with an unencrypted (plain text) password fails
after

you upgrade to Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 3.

CAUSE

=====

This is because the SMB redirector in Service Pack 3 handles unencrypted

passwords differently than previous versions of Windows NT. Beginning
with

Service Pack 3, the SMB redirector does not send an unencrypted password

unless you add a registry entry to enable unencrypted passwords.

RESOLUTION

==========

To enable unencrypted (plain text) passwords, modify the registry in the

following way:

WARNING: Using the registry editor incorrectly can cause serious,
system-

wide problems that may require you to reinstall Windows NT. Microsoft

cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of the
registry

editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk.

      Data: 1

5. Click OK and then quit Registry Editor.

6. Shut down and restart Windows NT.

To enable unencrypted (plain text) passwords in an automated setup,
modify

the registry in the following way:

WARNING: Using the registry editor incorrectly can cause serious,
system-

wide problems that may require you to reinstall Windows NT. Microsoft

cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of the
registry

editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk.

Add the following line to the Product.Add.Reg section of the Update.inf

file:

   HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters,

   "EnablePlainTextPassword", 0x10001, 1

Additional query words: prodnt 4.00 VAX

Keywords          : NTSrvWkst kbnetwork kbbuglist kbfixlist

Version           : 4.0

Platform          : winnt

Issue type        : kbreadme

Solution Type     : kbservicepack

***********************************

> Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 16:25:28 -0800
> From: Dave <dburwell at telecom.com>
> To: samba at samba.anu.edu.au
> Subject: NT Workstation can not access shares
>
>   This is an NT, not SAMBA, problem, but I don't know who else to ask.
> Details at end.
>   This client tries to access their home directory, and a dialog box pops
> up titled -
>
>   = Enter Network Password =========================================
>  |                                                                  |
>  |     Incorrect password or unknown username for:          <  OK  >|
>  |        \\unixmachine\home                                <Cancel>|
>  | Connect As: ________________________________             < Help >|
>  | Password:   ________________________________                     |
>   ------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>   Last week, you could enter a valid username and password and get access,
> this week I get :
>
>   ==== \\unixmachine\home ========================================
>  |                                                                |
>  | \/       \\unixmachine\home is not accessible                  |
>  | /\  The account is not authorized to login from this station.  |
>  |                                                                |
>   ----------------------------------------------------------------
>
>   What's up with this???
>   This account worked fine last week. The account is still usable from a
> Win95 machine without any problems. Last week, this laptop died, and had to
> have NT reloaded from scratch. Now this laptop can not access the SAMBA
> shares that have share level security. All other TCP/IP stuff works fine,
> and you can access the SAMBA shares that don't have any restrictions on them.
>   Where on the workstation do I look? What is turned on that should be off?
> Remember: THIS WORKED UNTIL THE LAPTOP DIED. I didn't change anything on
> the SAMBA server.
>
>   This is a laptop with NT 4.0 workstation. Last week, it was the base
> install of NT, this week it is the same base install + Service Pack 3.
>   Only one network protocol - TCP/IP
>   5 Services - Computer Browser, NetBIOS Interface, RPC Configuration,
> Server & Workstation.
>   If you look under the Identification, the computer name is DAVE-NB and
> the workgroup is WORKGROUP, there is noplace to enter a domain. Under the
> <Change...> button, the only thing checked is "Member of: Workgroup :
> WORKGROUP"
>   There are NO NT servers anywhere on this network, only SAMBA machines
> acking as file servers.
>   The UNIX server hasn't changed. I am using SAMBA 1.9.16p11. If there is
> security, it is share level security, not server level.
>   Please send email and I will try to follow the digest.
>
> dburwell at telecom.com

I hope that this can solve your problem!

jesus
Jesus Colprim Galceran         E-mail: jesus at lequia1.udg.es
LEQUIA                         http:   http://lequia1.udg.es/~jesus/
Facultat de Ciències
Universitat de Girona          Tel. 972.41.82.81  +34.72.41.82.81
Campus Montilivi s/n           Fax. 972.41.81.50  +34.72.41.81.50
E-17971 Girona