automountd hangs

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Nov 11 13:49:37 GMT 1997

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, SI-Gaetan Boudreau wrote:

> I am trying to figure out where the problem is coming from since I don't
> have any error messages in /var/adm/messages.

check the status of the smbd processes (/usr/local/bin/smbstatus | more) at
the time of the problem: you may get some clues from this.  i would be
*particularly* interested to hear if you happen to have *two* smbd processes
running for *one* w95 client.

the fact that you say the problem occurs for /home is giving me an itch,
and it's associated with when multiple users log in and log out of a
samba server.

i'll make a wild guess, and say "you're running with domain logons =
yes", aren't you?

> I also read that samba v1.9.17p2 fixed some problems with the
> automounter.  Is there still problem ?

answering your question directly: i don't know.  1.9.17p2 was a *long*
time ago for me :-)

the code that reads the "auto.map" file is very simple at the moment.  it
takes the server component and creates a default entry of
\\server\HOMES for the home directory

unfortunately, if you specified "logon path = anything" this was lost.  so,
in 1.9.18, i created a new option %S, which is the server component of the
auto.map entry for a user.  this defaults to the local server, if there is no
auto.map entry, or you compile samba without -DAUTOMAP support.

lukes