automountd hangs

SI-Gaetan Boudreau boudreg at IRCM.UMontreal.CA
Tue Nov 11 10:30:20 GMT 1997

Hi Samba admins,

I was wondering if any of you had problems with your automounter with
Samba ?

My environment is:
Samba 1.9.17p4 on a Sparc20 running Solaris 2.5.1 with the home
directories defined in the NIS+ tables.  The client are all Win95 PC.

Lately, we lose the automounter on the Sun host.  Even logged in as root
on the console I cannot 'cd' to the /home directory.

We have been running 5 users for 3 months without problems.  In the last
few weeks we started to install everyone.  We are now around 50 PC.

I am trying to figure out where the problem is coming from since I don't
have any error messages in /var/adm/messages.

I also read that samba v1.9.17p2 fixed some problems with the
automounter.  Is there still problem ?

Any help will be appreciated.  Thank you.

Gaetan Boudreau, ing/P.Eng.
Administrateur de reseau/Network Administrator
IRCM (Institut de recherches cliniques de Montreal/
      Clinical Research Institute of Montreal)

tel: 514-987-5563   fax: 514-987-5644
Internet E-Mail: Gaetan_Boudreau at IRCM.UMontreal.CA
Internet Web Site: http://www.ircm.umontreal.ca