Printing to Linux Desket 540 from Win95

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Mon Nov 10 23:57:56 GMT 1997

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Chris Molnar wrote:

> Hello...
>
> I am trying to print from a win95 machine to a HP Deskjet 540 printer on
> /dev/lp1 on my Slackware Linux 1.0.29 system.
>
> I have read the docs, (FAQ, MAN's, etc.) so the question needs to be asked
> here.
>
> I am able to connect to the printer from the 95 machine.
> I can print from DOS apps to the printer.
> I can print from the Linux machine to the printer.
>
> I CAN NOT print from any widows application to the printer. It sends it to
> the linux machine and then the Linux machine creates a spool file in
> /var/spool/lpd/dj that is an "unprintable file".
>
> Does anyone know how to solve this, or if it is solvable. I need to use the
> linux machine as the print server rather than the win95 machine.

i was kindly sent some example /etc/printcap files and some shell scripts to
do conversions like this, which started out life on linux: i gave up on
trying to get them to work on FreeBSD :-(

i *think* you will need a text to PCL converter program.  if you find one,
for linux, and how to execute it (i think you do something similar to
postscript processing: use a shell pre-processing command in the
/etc/printcap file), then please let me know.

[this is assuming that the Deskjet 540 and the HP Laserjet 4L are both
PCL printers...]

i am certain that there are hundreds of people who have solved exactly
this problem before.

lukes