Profile on NT Domain

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Fri Nov 7 14:35:22 GMT 1997

On Fri, 7 Nov 1997, Heinrich Rebehn wrote:

> Hi Luke,
>
> here's the latest news:
>
> > > "D:\WINNT\profiles\rebehn.000\Desktop\I is not accessible.
> > > The filename directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect"
> >
> > ok, there's either a bug in the format of the SAM Logon response, _or_
> > it's using the default location (\\samba_server_\homes\profile)
>
> It was my own fault, sorry. I had changed the location of the "all
> users"
> profile from
> 	"%WINDIR%\profiles\all users"
> 	"\\OurServer\allusers\all users"
> in the regsistry thus centralizing the default desktop and start menues
> on our server. As i reverted this change, i could login with no
> problems.
> Drive Z: is automatically connected to my home directory and my profile
> is loaded/stored from Z:\profiles.
>
> As for the passwords:
> I can login on the NT client using any password, but only if i use the
> correct samba password i can connect to the samba server. This is
> something
> i can live with since i generally don't have valuable data on local
> disks.
>
> Another problem:
> If i try to login with a nonexistent username i get the message:
> 	"The system could not log you on (C0000253). Please try again or
> 	 consult your system administrator".

this error code is "FATAL - NT_STATUS_LPC_REPLY_LOST".  which means, i'm
doing something wrong.  [there's a surprise].

> That's ok, but after that i can not login with any account. I have to
> reboot
> the machine.

oops, er... darn!  i'm probably not putting the right credentials in or
something, if there's a login failure.  each and every reply *must* be
credential signed.

> Yet another problem:
> We already have an NT doamin (ANT) running on our local subnet with a
> "genuine"
> NT domain controller (NT 3.51). When i start the samba domain controller
> for the ANTSMB domain, browsing does not work correctly any more. I can
> only
> see some NT stations, no other samba servers.

ok, you wouldn't *happen* to have two PDCs for the same domain (named
ANTSMB) would you?  one of them is an NT 3.51 primary domain controller,
and the other one is a Samba 1.9.18alpha primary domain controller?

this will cause you some headaches: you can't have more than one PDC for
the same domain, ever.  you wouldn't configure two NT PDCs for the same
domain, would you?

[i can see that this is going to cause some real bad headaches, i really can.
people configuring samba servers as primary domain controllers, and causing
network chaos...]

> But anyway, i want to thank the samba team for their effort and eventual
> success on making NT Server unnecssary. :-)))

we want full _interoperability_ with NT 4.0 server, not to replace it
(well, that's my public line, anyway).

> I'm afraid i don't have Net Monitor, where can i get it?

it's on your NT server distribution cd-rom.  also available on MSDN
subscription, level 2 and above.

lukes