Turn off the save password default in wi

Ian Kremenic ian at nismat.org
Thu Nov 6 11:10:42 GMT 1997

> We are using samba to mount our Unix home directories. The dreadful system
> called windows95 has a default of saving the passwords when mapping the
> directory. We are having security problems since the password is saved in the
> password file i.e., everybody that has access to the PC can modify the user's
> homedirectory. Is there a way of turning the save password function off?

It's a registry entry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Microsoft Windows -> Current
Version -> Policies -> Network -> DisablePwdCaching

This should be set to 1 (dword).  Don't forget to erase all the old
.pwl files (or whatever the hell it stores passwords in).

Ian Kremenic, M.Eng.                   ian at nismat.org
Research Assistant/Network Admin.      http://www.nismat.org
Nicholas Institute for Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma