NIS+ and NT 4.0

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Sat Nov 1 21:12:34 GMT 1997

On 31 Oct 1997, Matt Holtz wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
> I am having a problem.  I read the documentation, but it what it says doesn't
> seem to work.

oops!

> Here is my setup...
>
> Client NT 4.0
>
> Server - Sun Solaris 2.5.1 with NIS+.

which version of samba?  please, if you want me to reply, give full
information in your postings, so that you don't have to send out a second
posting.

> Problem:
> The documentation says that you can have samba do an NIS lookup to find
> the home directory of a user.  Samba, then will return the server that
> contains the Home directory, and then NT should go to that computer.
>
> I addes these lines to the smb.conf:
> nis homedir = true
> homedir map = auto_home.org_dir
>
> Samba processes this fine, but it doesn't seem to be bouncing the clients to
> the appropriate server.  Is there something that I am missing?

yes, the code added in 1.9.17 doesn't refer you to the appropriate
server.  having understood (in the last three weeks) exactly what homedir
maps are, i've added a new option %N in to samba-1.9.18alpha.

this option defaults to %L if the NIS homedir support is either unused or
unsupported.  the profile directory and home directory now default to
\\%N\%U\profile and \\%L\%U respectively.

the %N option takes the "server" part of server:/users/home_directory and
substitutes that.

therefore, if you are running samba on each of server1:/users/home_dir
and server2:/users/home_dir (which will be necessary, by the way), then
when the user logs in to _either_ server1 or server2, they will be
referred to the correct home directory server.

luke (samba team member).

         environment applies the Laws of Nature to you"               </b>