Can not start executables from Samba share

Christian 'Dr. Disk' Hechelmann drdisk at itlx01.it.fht-esslingen.de
Sat Nov 1 20:06:00 GMT 1997

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Christian 'Dr. Disk' Hechelmann wrote:

> I have encountered the following oddity with NT 4.0 WS:
>
> SOmetimes I cann not start an executable on a Samba share. NT just pops up
> a requester saying "<PATH>\BLA.EXE was not found. This file is needed to
> execute <PATH>\BLA.EXE" (The message was translated from german, so could be
> a bit different in the US version!). <PATH> is the path to the executable,
> e.g. H:\Programme\PSP\PSP.EXE for Paintshop Pro.

Further investigation has revealed that it seems this error is caused by
the fact that smbd is unable to update the file access time, as the error
happens within file_utime(). What I don't get is: Why does WinZip run?
The files and directories have the same permissions... Strange

	Ciao Chris
 Home: chris at ds9.au.s.shuttle.de /\ Work: drdisk at itlx01.it.fht-esslingen.de
  FIDO: 2:246/1416.39 \/ Im Wiesengrund 15, D-71522 Backnang, 07191-980854
     IRC: DrDisk \/ PGP Fingerprint 79AA6C63 84523279 3CA9B679 BDB74B17
        ***** ACHTUNG: Neue Mail-Adresse an der FHT Esslingen! *****