cross-subnet browsing problems

mac at nibsc.ac.uk mac at nibsc.ac.uk
Thu Jul 24 10:27:43 GMT 1997

Brian,

>I'm trying to set up cross-subnet browsing using Samba on a Linux box
>and a Sparc UltraEnterprise with Win95 and NT Workstation clients.  I'm
>using the Sparc as the domain master and also as the WINS server on the
>108 subnet.  The Linux box is the local master on the 46 subnet. Both
>are running Samba 1.9.17alpha4.  I can see the conversation between the
>two samba servers and the browse lists in var/locks/browse.dat are
>updated; however, the Network Neighborhood doesn't show the machines on
>the opposite subnet.  I do seem to have more workgroups, but they don't
>contain all the other machines.

I think the problem is very simple.  The cross-subnet browsing of Samba
only support one workgroup.  (The one the samba server is in).

A 'quick and dirty' solution is therefore to put all your machines (clients
and servers) in one workgroup, and all machines will appear.

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk

                 mac at nibsc.ac.uk  (also [hp]ostmaster)
 Work: 01707 654753 x 285               Everything else: 0956 237670 (any time)