Password Synchronization

F. G. P. fgp at fgp.atnet.at
Tue Dec 23 21:56:12 GMT 1997

Hi

I think, taking the encrypted password from /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow and
use it as nt-password is inpossible, because linux/unix uses a one-way
hash function to encrypt passwords, therefore it (should?) not be possible
to get the plaintext-password out of the /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow file.

Password on an nt-server are also encrypted (I hope so!!), but I believe
microsoft uses a reversible encryption.

This means, transforming an unix-password into an nt-password with only
knowing the encrypted text from /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow would actually
mean decrypting the password - which should be inpossible for todays
computers.

The reverse transformation , from an nt-encrypted password to an
unix-password should be possible - but I don't know any program which
would do this

					mfg, fgp