Printing

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Mon Dec 22 18:28:50 GMT 1997

At 01:43 23-12-97 +1100, Thomas.Hansen.tmh./Copenhagen at manbw.dk wrote:
>     Hi All you Samba people.
>
>     I would like to use Samba for sharing my unix printers, and only that
>     - NO SHARES. I think the easy way to do this, is to have the same unix
>     account do all the printing, so I have made an account call PCPRINT,
>     with no password.

If all you want is printing, why not use the Windows LPR facility and cut
out the Samba layer altogether? If you have Win95 machines then there is a
free/shareware version of the LPR facility, WinNT40ws has this built-in but
using it is counter-intuitive.

I am a great fan of Samba, but not to the exclusion of common-sense. If you
have serious loads and serious reliability requirements then you might
check into getting a dedicated LAN printer server, for all your workgroup
machines to share, using LPR. No computer system, Unix or otherwise, is as
reliable as dedicated appliance-level hardware. That's why I have a real
FAX machine backing up my HylaFAX server.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail:		mailto:rmeyer at mhsc.com
Personalweb pages:	http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site:	http://www.mhsc.com/