Printing

Bill Campbell bill at camco2.celestial.com
Tue Dec 23 02:26:09 GMT 1997

On Tue, Dec 23, 1997 at 05:31:19AM +1100, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
>If all you want is printing, why not use the Windows LPR facility and cut
>out the Samba layer altogether? If you have Win95 machines then there is a
>free/shareware version of the LPR facility, WinNT40ws has this built-in but
>using it is counter-intuitive.

Not at all.  Microsoft systems have a difficult walking and chewing
gum at the same time so anything that minimizes the load on them is
probably a win (have you ever been using a Win95 machine when somebody
runs a large PostScript(tm) file through your printer :-)?

We run all printing through our Unix systems, generally with all
spooling for a particular printer going through one Unix box since I
generally don't trust the printer vendor's network code to handle
input from multiple sources in a clean manner.  Typically we spool
through the Unix box that's physically closest to the printer(s)
although with network printers that's not technically necessary.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100

"A man full of faith is simply one who has lost (or never had) the capacity
for clear and realistic thought. He is not a mere ass; he is actually ill.
Worse, he is incurable."
	H.L. Mencken