Printing

Thomas.Hansen.tmh./Copenhagen at manbw.dk Thomas.Hansen.tmh./Copenhagen at manbw.dk
Mon Dec 22 14:39:38 GMT 1997

     Hi All you Samba people.

     I would like to use Samba for sharing my unix printers, and only that
     - NO SHARES. I think the easy way to do this, is to have the same unix
     account do all the printing, so I have made an account call PCPRINT,
     with no password.
     My problem: If I don't put a "+" into /etc/hosts.equiv the pcprint
     user won't connect to the printer, instead my own account is used, and
     the password for my account cannot be validated.

     ; SECURITY
        alternate permissions = no
        security = server
        protocol = NT1
        password level = 0
        password server = wacs1
        encrypt passwords = no
        create mask = 0755
        guest account = pcprint
        null passwords = yes
        hosts equiv = /etc/hosts.equiv

     The Printer entry:
     ; PRINTING
        lpq cache time = 10
        printing = hpux
        printcap name = /usr/local/samba/lib/printcap
        load printers = yes
        print command = /usr/bin/lp -d %p %s
        lppause command = /usr/bin/lpalt %p-%j -p0
        lpresume command = /usr/bin/lpalt %p-%j -p2
        lpq command = /usr/bin/lpstat %p
        lprm command = /usr/bin/cancel %p-%j

     ;The printer "share"
     [printers]
        comment = All Printers
        browseable = no
        printable = yes
        public = yes
        guest ok = yes
        guest only = yes
        guest account = pcprint
        writable = no
        create mode = 0700
        path = /tmp

     Should it not be possible to have printing work as one user, without
     putting a "+" into /etc/hosts.equiv?

     Kind regards
     Thomas Hansen
     tmh at manbw.dk