1.9.17 printing across subnets

Simon Hyde shyde at poboxes.com
Sun Dec 7 18:08:30 GMT 1997

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997 10:15:34 +1100, you wrote:

>I cannot print across my subnets using microsoft win9networking.
>
>I have two subnets 192.168.0 & 192.168.1 of which the linux
>running samba server is the router using two ethernet cards .
>Workstations on both subnets share their printers from win95.
>
>Win95 machines from both sides of the subnet can telnet to both
>ethernet cards on the server and can also ping all machines across
>the two subnets.
>
>In win95 networkneighbourhood all printers (and workstaions for that
>matter) from BOTH subnets show up correclty. However the users can
>only print on the printers on "their" side of the subnet.
>
>So I have a working tcp/ip net and working netbios over tcp/ip on
>the two subnets BUT i do NOT have working netbios/netbeui(or
>whatever it takes) printing across the subnets.

Ah, well, here is where your problem could be, remove NetBEUI from all your
PCs and see if this solves the problem. There is no need for NetBEUI so
long as all your windows machines have TCP/IP installed, and I doubt your
Linux server is routing NetBEUI packets. You don't say if you've setup WINS
anywhere, if you haven't you should really set this up (setting 'wins
support = yes' in smb.conf will allow Samba to act as one) and tell all
your windows machines to point to that (by putting it in the WINS section
of the TCP/IP section of network control panel).

Hope this is of help,

Simon Hyde