/etc/passwd - Domain Controller Synchronization

Charlie Brady cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Fri Dec 5 01:22:48 GMT 1997

On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Jorge Silva (Jorge Gomes da Silva) wrote:

> I'm currently working on a project for a client that relies on Unix machines
> for their main applications. Access to Unix applications is done through
> terminal emulation (vt 100) on Windows PCs.
>
> We are implementing a Windows NT network for file an print sharing and to
> support SMS. One of the goals of the project is to achieve an authentication
> scheme where username and password are exactly the same on Unix and NT.

You will achieve your objective most easily by ditching Windows NT in
favour of Linux+samba. It does file and print sharing very well. You will
then only have one password system to worry about.

Charlie Brady - Telstra  |internet: cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Network Products         |Snail    : Locked Bag 6581, GPO Sydney 2001 Australia
Platform Technologies    |Physical : Lvl 2, 175 Liverpool St, Sydney 2000
 IN-Sub Unit - Sydney    | Phone: +61 2 9206 3470 Fax: +61 2 9281 1301