/etc/passwd - Domain Controller Synchronization

Jorge Silva (Jorge Gomes da Silva) jorgesil at microsoft.com
Thu Dec 4 15:03:49 GMT 1997

Hello,

I don't know much about Samba so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I'm currently working on a project for a client that relies on Unix machines
for their main applications. Access to Unix applications is done through
terminal emulation (vt 100) on Windows PCs.

We are implementing a Windows NT network for file an print sharing and to
support SMS. One of the goals of the project is to achieve an authentication
scheme where username and password are exactly the same on Unix and NT. In
this kind of solution if the user changes it's password in NT it will also
change in Unix (/etc/passwd). We would like to know if this kind of
synchcronization is possible with Samba (we only need to reflect changes
made on NT to Unix, we don't need it to work from Unix to NT).

If you think you can help me please email me your answers directly as I'm
not a member of this mailing list.

Thanks in advance.

Jorge.
(Microsoft - Portugal)