/etc/passwd - Domain Controller Synchronization

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Fri Dec 5 14:12:03 GMT 1997

On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Jorge Silva (Jorge Gomes da Silva) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don't know much about Samba so forgive me if this is a stupid question.
>
> I'm currently working on a project for a client that relies on Unix machines
> for their main applications. Access to Unix applications is done through
> terminal emulation (vt 100) on Windows PCs.
>
> We are implementing a Windows NT network for file an print sharing and to
> support SMS. One of the goals of the project is to achieve an authentication
> scheme where username and password are exactly the same on Unix and NT. In
> this kind of solution if the user changes it's password in NT it will also
> change in Unix (/etc/passwd). We would like to know if this kind of
> synchcronization is possible with Samba (we only need to reflect changes
> made on NT to Unix, we don't need it to work from Unix to NT).
>
> If you think you can help me please email me your answers directly as I'm
> not a member of this mailing list.

hi jorge,

i'm replying to the list as well, for their benefit.

there are two ways to do this.

1) on NT 4.0, use "security = server" in samba: read docs/security_level.txt

2) if possible, install PAM on the unix clients, and install pam_smb 0.6.

3) write a script that calls smbpasswd and passwd (or a shell
script or c program that updates /etc/passwd and smbpasswd directly).
call the script as the default telnet login to the unix password server.

luke