SUMMARY: netbios-ns address already in use?

Tim Winders twinders at spc.cc.tx.us
Thu Dec 4 14:05:08 GMT 1997

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Eloy A. Paris wrote:

> > My original message follows...
> >
> > Well, it would seem that my problem was that nmbd was somehow running as a
> > daemon.  Looking at the process IDs the first nmbd had a parent process of
> > 1, not as the ID of inetd.  I don't know HOW that happened, the only place
> > nmbd is referenced is inetd.conf.  I killed the main nmbd process, sent a
> > HUP signal to inetd, nmbd started again and I haven't had a problem in
> > over 5 hours (where I was getting the message every 10 minutes before).
> > So, I guess everything is now OK.  Strange...
> >

> Uhhmmm... process ID 1 is init. That's the first process run by the
> kernel. My guess is that one of your rc scripts is starting nmbd.
> After you killed nmbd it was restarted automatically by inetd when
> there was traffic in the netbios ports. Try rebooting the machine: the
> rc script will restart nmbd again and then when inetd tries to run
> nmbd because of UDP traffic it'll find the port already in use, so
> you'll have the same problem again.

I looked through all my rc scripts and nmbd is not there anywhere....  The
ONLY place I can find it referenced is inetd.conf.  I will reboot the
machine when I get a chance and see what happens...

|  Tim Winders, CNE              |  Email:  twinders at spc.cc.tx.us   |
|  Network Administrator         |  Phone:  806-894-9611 x 2369     |
|  South Plains College          |  Fax:    806-897-4711            |