nmbd crashing as domain controller

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Mon Dec 1 18:19:39 GMT 1997

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Robert Franklin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We've been over this before many times, I think... it's about nmbd
> crashing in 1.9.17 (all patchlevels, AFAIK).
>
> Various suggestions have been suggested (cron jobs to kill off / restart
> nmbd every hour) but no fixes to nmbd itself (I think).
>
> Do the Samba team know of a fix (or could they do one; if they know what
> the problem is)?  A new [fast] machine added to our network recently seems
> to be able to crash our server very regularly. :)

1) what patch

>   - Bob
>
> P.S.  On another issue, is 1.9.18 on alpha as far as the domain logon
> support for NT is concerned?

if you compile 1.9.18 without -DNTDOMAIN, you will get what is the current
(real) 1.9.18 alpha version.  1.9.18 is in alpha, and will go into production
regardless of the #ifdef NTDOMAIN code in it, and so will future versions
until we are certain that the domain logon code is working.

1.9.18 and all future versions is / are just a "carrier"  for the completely
independent (parallel) development of domain logon support.

once it is working, we will start a stable alpha series for it.

>  i.e. could I use it on my (largley non-NT)
> network with reliable support for 95/etc. clients?

the #ifdef NTDOMAIN stuff is DCE/RPC.  95 doesn't support DCE/RPC, except
by being rewritten, under which circumstances it would be called NT.

i wouldn't use it yet in a production environment: there are a couple of
issues to resolve (incorrect passwords seem to stuff things.  fine until
you get your password wrong by mistake!)

luke