subnet browse lists

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at cb1.com
Mon Aug 18 13:52:42 GMT 1997

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Eloy A. Paris wrote:

> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at cb1.com> wrote:
>
> : if your NT server is in the same workgroup as your samba server, then use:
> :
> : 	local master = no
> : 	preferred master = no
> : 	domain master = no
> : 	os level = 0
> :
> : instead.
>
> Why??? Can't a Samba server take the role of an NT server?

yes, it can - for windows 95 clients only, with the right configuration
options.  we don't have all the same features: only those that we've been
able to work out ((without assistance or documentation)

however, you are not asking for a samba server to take the role of an NT
server: you are leaving the NT server in place, in the same domain, and
expecting it to successfully take out the NT server: it cannot.

in other words, simultaneously be a Primary Domain Controller for the same
domain, you cannot expect any two servers capable of being PDC to _both_
be a PDC, regardless of their origin (AFPS from AT&T or SCO; samba;
visionfs; NT server).

the first one that successfully registers DOMAIN<1b> with the WINS server
will be the PDC.  the other will not.

please read the BROWSING.txt and NetBIOS.txt documentation in
samba-1.9.17alpha5/docs directory: it will help in your understand of
these (complex) issues thatcompanies can justifiably charge lots of money
for training courses on.

luke