RedHat's /etc/hosts confuses sys_gethostbyname()

Jacco de Leeuw leeuw at wins.uva.nl
Sun Aug 17 14:47:21 GMT 1997

I use a more or less standard RedHat 4.1 install. After
installation, my /etc/hosts looked like this:

127.0.0.1               localhost localhost.localdomain
192.168.0.222           hccasd0.net.hcc.nl hccasd0

It seems that the "localhost.localdomain" part confuses
sys_gethostbyname(). When smbd primes nmdb, it does a name lookup
for localhost but then it hangs.

I did specify a domainname during the installation (.net.hcc.nl).
The problem is solved when I change .localdomain into net.hcc.nl.
Am I doing something wrong, or is this a RedHat configuration
problem?

Jacco
Jacco de Leeuw |Fac.Phys,Math.&Comp Sc. |mailto:leeuw at wins.uva.nl
J.C. van Wessemstr. 54 |University of Amsterdam| +31(0)756352068
1501VM Zaandam Holland |http://carol.wins.uva.nl/~leeuw/
        Jean-Luc Picard did more for bald men than toupets do...