problem with printer

mfrattola at mail.enjoy.it mfrattola at mail.enjoy.it
Fri Aug 1 21:24:01 GMT 1997

Hi,
I've a strange problem with samba 1.9.15pl4 and an Epson LQ2070 printer (not
that I think that samba release or printer type are relevant ..). I'm using
samba with linux to offer print share to a win3.11 LAN. A little drawing:

Win PC <----> File Server <----> Axis print server <----> printer
              (spool dir)

The printer is connected to an Axis printserver and works fairly well. That
means it prints jobs, but refuses to delete files. Take this example:
1. user a wants to print his letter.doc Word file
2. file letter.doc goes from his ws to file server spool directory
   (usually - i.e. on other server - I don't see this file being created)
3. file gets printed
4. file letter.doc is not removed
Since I see that .seq is incremented after each print, I suppose that files get
copied, then a print job (kind of df123-abs file name) is created, it's printed
and deleted, but not the original file.
I've set up many print servers with samba, and had this problem in the past, but
don't remember how I fixed it.
I checked this setup with others, but I'm missing an obvious difference.

print command is "/bin/lpr -P%p %s; /bin/rm %s"
spool dir permissions are set to drwxrwxrwt root.lp
printing is public, bsd type
public user is guest

Any idea? I'd appreciate hearing them. Thanks in advance.