SAMBA digest 1373

Bryan Maggard maggard at spindletop.tamu.edu
Sat Aug 2 16:33:17 GMT 1997

>>David Allan Finch wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone considerd modify the Unix encypt to use
>> the same system as NT. IE the encypted pasword in the
>> /etc/passwd or NIS/NIS+ table is the same for both?

>Jeremy Allison <jallison at whistle.com>wrote:
>
>Err. That would be a *really* bad idea. See the l0phtcrack
>source for details :-).

I remember seeing something recently about NISGINA.DLL.  It
replaces the MSGINA.DLL of NT and allows NT to obtain
NIS+ passwords.  This might be a way to consolidate passwords.

I am considering implementing a pilot using NIS+ to serve passwords
to NTW machines.  Does anyone on the list have comments on this topic?
If you feel it is not close enough to topic, send direct reply.
| J. Bryan Maggard, Research Associate                             |
| TAMU Petroleum Engineering                                       |
| 501-X Richardson Building            Phone: (409) 845-0592       |
| College Station, TX 77843-3116       FAX: (409) 845-1307         |
|                                      maggard at spindletop.tamu.edu |
| PGP Public Key:                                                  |
|  http://petroppp.tamu.edu/maggard.html                           |