Different times on VMS and Windows for a file

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Thu Jan 6 04:48:39 GMT 2005

Michael Mazzoni wrote:
> Environment:  VMS v7.3 on an Alpha, Samba-VMS v2.2.8.

> 1)       is this a Samba-VMS problem?

Yes and No.

The code that uses that logical only needs to exist on binaries for
OpenVMS 6.x and earlier.  There is no reason to use those routines on
current versions of OpenVMS.

It is quite probable that the test is not even needed with the current
sources.  I would have to review the source to verify.

> 5)       searching all the .c files in v2.8.8 doesn't find
> SYS$TIMEZONE_RULE,
>
>             so how is the time differential handled?

By the UTC routines in the CRTL.

The usual reasons for the logical being missing after a reboot, is that
DECNET-PLUS is running, but DTSS has not been disabled through use of
the feature logical name.

This is done in the SYS$STARTUP:NET$LOGICALS.COM file which is created
from the NET$LOGICALS.TEMPLATE file.

If the logical name is not defined on a DECNET-PLUS system, the timezone
logical name is not created at boot, but will be manually created by
running the timezone configuration.

See the Timezone information in the VMS System Manager Guide and in the FAQ.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network