smbfs reads Variable files incorrectly from VMS Samba

Brian.Tillman at smiths-aerospace.com Brian.Tillman at smiths-aerospace.com
Mon Mar 31 18:55:26 GMT 2003

>I did check this parameter and it is 0 on our system.  But having my sys
>admin change SYSGEN parameters is definitely outside of my comfort
>zone.

It needn't be.  Here's what it does:

RMS_HEURISTIC controls whether RMS analyzes selected sequential files to
determine if they are normal text or binary files. If RMS_HEURISTIC is enabled
(with a value of 1), RMS analyzes sequential files with both a record format
(RFM) of STM and a longest-record-length (LRL) of 0 when the files are initially
opened. By default in OpenVMS Version 7.1, the heuristic is disabled systemwide.

It affects only those files that would normally be of interest only to a
connecting Unix system.  All that will be added is a little bit of overhead.  At
the worst, the sysadmin can simply reset it to zero.  It's certainly work the
brief trial, considering it's a dynamic parameter.

Brian Tillman         Internet: Brian.Tillman at smiths-aerospace dot com
Smiths Aerospace        Addresses modified to prevent SPAM.
3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS  Replace "at" with "@", "dot" with "."
Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991
       This opinion doesn't represent that of my company