smbfs reads Variable files incorrectly from VMS Samba

Ben Armstrong ben at bgpc.dymaxion.ca
Mon Mar 31 19:08:45 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 14:57, Brian.Tillman at smiths-aerospace.com wrote:
> RMS_HEURISTIC controls whether RMS analyzes selected sequential files to
> determine if they are normal text or binary files. If RMS_HEURISTIC is enabled
> (with a value of 1), RMS analyzes sequential files with both a record format
> (RFM) of STM and a longest-record-length (LRL) of 0 when the files are initially
> opened. By default in OpenVMS Version 7.1, the heuristic is disabled systemwide.
>

> It affects only those files that would normally be of interest only to a
> connecting Unix system.  All that will be added is a little bit of overhead.  At
> the worst, the sysadmin can simply reset it to zero.  It's certainly work the
> brief trial, considering it's a dynamic parameter.

That doesn't sound like it would be of any help for my failing test
case, which involves a "Variable" file with LRL = 4.  Even such a small,
low-risk change would not be worth bothering my sys admin to try unless
it seemed likely that it would help.  But I'll keep it in mind if more
promising alternatives don't turn up.

Thanks,
Ben
--
      Ben Armstrong                -.       Medianet Development Group,
      BArmstrong at dymaxion.ca         `-.    Dymaxion Research Limited