setting up SAMBA 1.9.17p4

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Wed Mar 5 02:13:27 GMT 2003

"Maruyama, Kazutoshi" <Kazutoshi.Maruyama at japan.pfizer.company> wrote:

> Thanks John for advice.
>
> I am using OpenVMS V6.2 and DIGITAL TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS VAX Version
> V4.2 - ECO 2.
>
> I tried to install SAMBA 2.0.6 before, but I could not install. Because, I
> got the install error during the frontport installation.

Yes, I never tested the Frontport library on OpenVMS 5.5-2.  I had a job
change, and a move, and it has taken me until this year to get things
set back up.

The changes to make Frontport work on the earlier versions are not hard,
and I intend to take them into account when I put out the next release
of it.  I am currently debugging the privileged UID routines.

If you care to recompile the source, I would be happy to assist on this
list with the needed patches and transfer vector entries.

> After this I decided to use 1.9.17p4, so I can sucessfuly install it.

You might try the 2.0.3 release, it still requires plain text passwords.

You may be able to apply the 2.0.7 source patches to it and get around
the protocol problems.

> I will install it. Please let me know the location of kit. I have never find
> the SAMBA 2.0.7 kit so.

I never released a 2.0.7 kit.  I did publish a list of the steps needed
to do the upgrades to 2.0.10 of SAMBA, but at the time I did not have
enough of a computing environment up at home to test it.

Once I get Frontport passing my tests, I will probably build a 2.0.10
kit just for completeness.

I have had multiple hard disk failures as a result of my relocation,
plus I am spending almost an hour a day commuting, so I do not have as
much time as I use to.

On the other hand, I now have very good access to OpenVMS internals and
futures :-)

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network