Detecting directory changes.

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Wed Mar 5 02:26:54 GMT 2003

"'Dave Jones'" <JONESD at er6s1.eng.ohio-state.edu>, wrote:
> I just joined this list, I've been playing with samba to the past few
> weeks.

Welcome.

For those that may not be familiar with Dave Jones, He is the maintainer
and I think the main author of the OSU Threading Web server.

> In the archives there was discussion of the difficulty of reliably
> invalidating the stat cache when directory updates don't change it's
> allocation.  While poking around the VMS source listings for a better
>  solution, I came across a system routine that looks made to order
> for this problem.  If you open the directory file, the function
> F11X$POSIX_FASTRDSEQNOS can be used to quickly fetch the header and
> data sequence numbers stored in the access lock's value block.

I am trying to find out how stable that internal routine is.  I am
trying to see if a supported interface can be developed to either give
notification on change, or a way to detect changes in the directory.

As I do not work with either the C RTL or the filesystem area, it may
take some time before I get a chance to run this down.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network