Running Samba 2.0.3 on Alpha VMS

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.network
Mon Nov 26 00:53:58 GMT 2001

J Beets <jbeets at cnd.co.newzealand> wrote:
> Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:23:53
>
> Hello Alpha VMS Samba users,
>
> I'm running Samba V2.0.3 Binaries on Alpha VMS 7.2-1 with UCX (TCPIP) Ver
> 5.1 ECO-2.
>
> The binaries all Linked okay and installed without problems and the NMBD
> and SMBD_1 and SMBD_2 processes all started - however the smbd_1
> process stops soon after with the error:
>
>  "Internet ACP Error during process startup, Nolisten Service Disabled -
> SMBD Server" on the system console.

I have never run the SAMBA 2.0.3 release, but there was a report earlier
on this list that a fresh install on SAMBA for OpenVMS will need the
/LISTEN flag set on the SMBD service.

Apparently this flag used to be set by default.  I do not have any
documentation on this flag either.  You may want to contact the CSC
about it.

All versions of SAMBA for OpenVMS from 1.19.x to 2.0.6 on the OpenVMS Freeware

CD-ROM are probably affected.

> the log.smb file contains:
>
> DSA1:[KITS.SAMBA-2_0_3.SOURCE.LIB]SYSTEM.C;1:(362)
>   WARNING: no chroot!

OpenVMS does not have a single root directory, so a chroot() function is
meaningless.

-John

wb8tyw at qsl.network