Samba 2.0.3 handling of files with no ".extension"

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.network
Fri Nov 23 14:19:54 GMT 2001

Roy Omond wrote:

> (already posted on the samba-vms mailing list, as yet with no reply)

I saw it, but I have never run SAMBA 2.0.3, so was waiting for someone more

familiar with it to respond.  The filename handling is one of the things
that is done completely differently with SAMBA 2.0.6.

> Gentle colleagues,
>
> 2 x DS10s clustered, VMS 7.2-1, TCP/IP v5.0A
>
> I am attempting to get Samba 2.0.3 running such that files
> on the VMS side with no ".extension" e.g. ABCD
> are visible on the Weendoze side.  This works without
> problems using Samba 1.9.17p4 on a small VAXcluster.

The filename handling in 1.9.17p4 had some problems that were real bad
for me.  So I rewrote the routines for 2.0.6.  Eckart also
simultaneously rewrote them for 2.0.3.

It looks like some bug may have been accidentally introduced.

Note that the file name handling in 2.0.6 also has a few problems,
mainly with some of the UNICODE characters in filenames.  I have not had
time to chase them down.

> I'd really like to get 2.0.3 to work, since it has other
> features that I need.

The major differences that I am aware of is the 2.0.3 supports mixed
case filenames by using special escape characters, and 2.0.6 does not.

Samba 2.0.6 though supports encrypted passwords, and oplocks.  It is bug
and feature compatable with the UNIX version.

It can also handle file structure translation.

All versions of SAMBA below 2.0.7 will have intermittant problems with W2K.

> Weird thing is, in a DOS window I can successfully
> create a file with no extension (COPY X.X ABCD)
> and the file appears correctly on the VMS side, but
> the new file is invisible on the Weendoze side.
>
> I'd be really appreciative of any help in getting this
> working since I have an archive of way over 5,000,000
> files on the VMS side, almost all of which have no
> .extensions in their names.

See the SAMBA-VMS FAQ on the OpenVMS freeware CD-ROM.
It has some tips that apply to SAMBA 2.0.3.

> I'm presently at a site where there's no C compiler
> otherwise I'd not be averse to getting in there and
> changing the source.

Samba 2.0.6 binaries for ALPHA 7.2-1 are on the Freeware 5.0 CD-ROM.

> Eckart, ich waere sehr dankbar fuer Deine Hilfe !

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network