doing a test build of samba

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Tue Apr 5 19:57:16 UTC 2022

05.04.2022 22:42, Rowland Penny via samba-technical wrote:
[]
> I am definitely no expert here, but why are you running the tests ?
> The idea (as far as I am aware) for the tests is when the code is
> changed, the change can be tested. When the code is released e.g.
> 4.16.0 , it doesn't require testing.

Take a look at any package for any linux distribution - most likely
you'll find quite some amount of patches for various things.
Most of the important packages do include selftests too.  Note these
are run on different architectures and with different system
components.

Current samba package in debian contains more than 300 patches.
And the tests are disabled entirely.

Before uploading such a monster I'd love to know if it at least
quacks still, instead of relying on my users to report problems.

Thanks,

/mjt