doing a test build of samba

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Apr 5 19:42:28 UTC 2022

On Tue, 2022-04-05 at 22:14 +0300, Michael Tokarev via samba-technical
wrote:
> 05.04.2022 22:01, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 5 April 2022 00:52:14 CEST Michael Tokarev via samba-
> > technical
> > wrote:
> > > So it looks like the answer is "no" :)
> > >
> > > I just dislike the hacking around renames or duplicating the
> > > source tree for different builds.. :)
> >
> > `git worktree` is your friend ;-)
>
> Yeah, Andreas, thank you for the tip!  I use it here quite a lot.
>
> Unfortunately I was asking about something different. Think automated
> build of an src.rpm on different architectures with running the
> testsuite
> in the process. Unlike of rpm, who has whole build directory
> available
> and extracts source in a subdir, in debian it is done differently:
> the build system has to work from within the already extracted source
> dir. And everything's done inside. So the sequence, most likely, will
> be like this:
>
>   configure, build normally
>   run tests:
>     mv bin bin.prod
>     configure --enable-selftests; build; run tests
>     rm -rf bin
>     mv bin.prod bin
>   install:
>     install from bin/

> This is because the build script is called to build things
> first, to test them if build was okay, and to install things
> if tested good.

I am definitely no expert here, but why are you running the tests ?
The idea (as far as I am aware) for the tests is when the code is
changed, the change can be tested. When the code is released e.g.
4.16.0 , it doesn't require testing.

Rowland