Ubuntu's ADSys

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Apr 29 15:47:18 UTC 2021

On 29/04/2021 16:07, David Mulder wrote:

>> I was curious why something that had just been released with a big
>> fan fair, didn't work, so I decided to find out why and, seemingly, I
>> have. The problem, from a Samba point of view, is that it depends on
>> sssd, so precludes the use of Samba. If 'adsys' can be forked to use
>> Samba, then that might be an idea.
> Samba already does group policy via samba-gpupdate, and it happens to
> work with both winbind and sssd. ADsys says they provide "password
> policies and user access control, and Desktop environment settings,
> such as login screen, background and favourite apps". We already
> provide password policies, and user access control is in master.
> Adding desktop environment will be trivial (and much of this is
> already in the works). We're providing policies for smb.conf, ssh
> settings, sudoers, scripts, and more. Seems to me we already have more
> to offer than this ADsys thing does.

You are probably correct David, but we aren't pushing it like Ubuntu is.
Whilst you are doing great work on this front, there are still gaps to
fill, ADsys somehow interacts with Apparmor, but I don't think Samba
does (yet). What I was suggesting was that maybe we could gain some
ideas from ADsys.

Rowland