Ubuntu's ADSys

David Mulder dmulder at suse.com
Thu Apr 29 15:07:39 UTC 2021

> I was curious why something that had just been released with a big
> fan fair, didn't work, so I decided to find out why and, seemingly, I
> have. The problem, from a Samba point of view, is that it depends on
> sssd, so precludes the use of Samba. If 'adsys' can be forked to use
> Samba, then that might be an idea.

Samba already does group policy via samba-gpupdate, and it happens to
work with both winbind and sssd. ADsys says they provide "password
policies and user access control, and Desktop environment settings,
such as login screen, background and favourite apps". We already
provide password policies, and user access control is in master. Adding
desktop environment will be trivial (and much of this is already in the
works). We're providing policies for smb.conf, ssh settings, sudoers,
scripts, and more. Seems to me we already have more to offer than this
ADsys thing does.