Ubuntu's ADSys

Alexander Bokovoy ab at samba.org
Thu Apr 29 15:57:28 UTC 2021

On to, 29 huhti 2021, David Mulder via samba-technical wrote:

> > I was curious why something that had just been released with a big fan
> > fair, didn't work, so I decided to find out why and, seemingly, I have.
> > The problem, from a Samba point of view, is that it depends on sssd, so
> > precludes the use of Samba. If 'adsys' can be forked to use Samba, then
> > that might be an idea.
> >

> Samba already does group policy via samba-gpupdate, and it happens to work
> with both winbind and sssd. ADsys says they provide "password policies and
> user access control, and Desktop environment settings, such as login screen,
> background and favourite apps". We already provide password policies, and
> user access control is in master. Adding desktop environment will be trivial
> (and much of this is already in the works). We're providing policies for
> smb.conf, ssh settings, sudoers, scripts, and more. Seems to me we already
> have more to offer than this ADsys thing does.

Note that we also have FleetCommander tool[1][2] that allows to define
desktop definitions for Linux clients enrolled into AD and FreeIPA.
FleetCommander exists for quite some time, we presented it at FOSDEM and
other conferences since 2018 or even before that.

ALT Linux folks also have a comprehensive group policies parsing and
applying tool[3] that relies on Samba Python bindings. The tool also
exists for several years and will be present at upcoming SambaXP.

[1] https://fleet-commander.org/
[2] https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/FleetCommander
[3] https://github.com/altlinux/gpupdate/

--