PATCH: make disabling of vfs_snapper consistent with our configure/build system

Ralph Boehme slow at samba.org
Mon Jul 13 16:48:50 UTC 2020

Hi all!

Am 7/10/20 um 9:44 PM schrieb Björn JACKE:
> On 2020-07-10 at 20:31 +0200 Stefan Metzmacher via samba-technical sent off:
>> I don't see why your change would be needed, I actually think it makes
>> the situation worse, as --disable-snapper is no longer available
>
> I tried to descibe that in the bug report. Our correct way to disable shared
> modules is to use --with-shared-modules='!module_name'.  That mechanism gets
> broken by 7ae03a19b3ca895ba5f97a6bd4f9539d8daa6e0a. So the new option
> introduced by 7ae03a19b3ca895ba5f97a6bd4f9539d8daa6e0a is not needed and it
> makes our generic mechanism to disable the shared module stop working.
>
>> and configure would just fail if dbus-1 is not available.
>
> that's what it currently also does. This is because in the discussion it was
> desired that this should be a forced enabled feature by default. Personally I
> would prefer forced-enabled features for developer builds if this is meant to
> detect failrures in autobuild. But that's another discussion. In any case
> configure fails (intentionally) with 7ae03a19b3ca895ba5f97a6bd4f9539d8daa6e0a
> and without 7ae03a19b3ca895ba5f97a6bd4f9539d8daa6e0a by default if dbus-1 is
> unavailable.

of, what a mess! :)

Currently the snapper configure check is the only one of the three
(snapper, cephfs, glusterfs) VFS module configure options that implement
--enable-NAME=yes "correctly" (as per --enable-XXX configure semantics).

The other ones (ceph, glusterfs) will just silently pass if a dependency
is missing, effectively implementing default="auto" behaviour.

I don't think we want all of those modules to fail with a
default="true", that would result in too much configure churn while
user's configure runs fail one after the other, forcing them to add
--disable-XXX to the configure invocation.

I guess we should just default to "auto" for all three modules.

Here's a MR that implements this:

https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/1461

If we decide that we really want all three modules to use and enforce a
default value of "true", this can be achieved by merely switching the
defaults in the above MR.

Thoughts?
-slow

--