PATCH: make disabling of vfs_snapper consistent with our configure/build system

Björn JACKE bj at SerNet.DE
Fri Jul 10 19:44:28 UTC 2020

Hi Metze,

On 2020-07-10 at 20:31 +0200 Stefan Metzmacher via samba-technical sent off:
> I don't see why your change would be needed, I actually think it makes
> the situation worse, as --disable-snapper is no longer available

I tried to descibe that in the bug report. Our correct way to disable shared
modules is to use --with-shared-modules='!module_name'.  That mechanism gets
broken by 7ae03a19b3ca895ba5f97a6bd4f9539d8daa6e0a. So the new option
introduced by 7ae03a19b3ca895ba5f97a6bd4f9539d8daa6e0a is not needed and it
makes our generic mechanism to disable the shared module stop working.

> and configure would just fail if dbus-1 is not available.

that's what it currently also does. This is because in the discussion it was
desired that this should be a forced enabled feature by default. Personally I
would prefer forced-enabled features for developer builds if this is meant to
detect failrures in autobuild. But that's another discussion. In any case
configure fails (intentionally) with 7ae03a19b3ca895ba5f97a6bd4f9539d8daa6e0a
and without 7ae03a19b3ca895ba5f97a6bd4f9539d8daa6e0a by default if dbus-1 is
unavailable.

Björn