PATCH: make disabling of vfs_snapper consistent with our configure/build system

Björn Jacke bjacke at samba.org
Mon Jul 13 17:06:46 UTC 2020

On 13.07.20 18:48, Ralph Boehme wrote:
> of, what a mess! :)
>
> Currently the snapper configure check is the only one of the three
> (snapper, cephfs, glusterfs) VFS module configure options that implement
> --enable-NAME=yes "correctly" (as per --enable-XXX configure semantics).
>
> The other ones (ceph, glusterfs) will just silently pass if a dependency
> is missing, effectively implementing default="auto" behaviour.
>
> I don't think we want all of those modules to fail with a
> default="true", that would result in too much configure churn while
> user's configure runs fail one after the other, forcing them to add
> --disable-XXX to the configure invocation.
>
> I guess we should just default to "auto" for all three modules.

I agree, that should be the default. This will enable users to build
Samba easily with all available options that are possible on their
platform. Package maintainers (same like autobuild) are advised to
explicitly use the --enable-foo options to make sure that the desired
feature really enabled.

> Here's a MR that implements this:
>
> https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/-/merge_requests/1461
>
> If we decide that we really want all three modules to use and enforce a
> default value of "true", this can be achieved by merely switching the
> defaults in the above MR.

this looks good, thanks you!

Björn