WAF 2.x upgrade status

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jul 6 00:43:40 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-07-06 at 07:54 +1200, Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical
wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-07-05 at 21:32 +0300, Alexander Bokovoy via samba-
> technical wrote:
> >
> > I've got a green run!
> > https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba/pipelines/25198995
>
> Yay!
>
> > Tomorrow I'll work on fixing up commit messages and will submit the
> > patchset for reviews.
>
> In preparation for that I'm running some comparative builds between
> master and this branch in the hope that we can confirm no configure or
> selftest tests were lost.
>
> I'm doing that on the Rackspace GitLab CI pipelines and an old-style
> Catalyst Cloud build.
>
> I'll let you know the results today.
>
> Thanks for all your hard work on this!

I've confirmed no tests were lost, and when running this horrible
thing:

grep "^\[" master/*.std* | cut -f 2- -d\]|perl -p -i -e
"s|bin/default|default|"| perl -p -i -e "s|\.\./lib|lib|"| sort >
master.txt
grep "^\[" new-waf/*.std* | cut -f 2- -d\]|perl -p -i -e
"s|bin/default|default|"| perl -p -i -e "s|\.\./lib|lib|"| sort > new-
waf.txt

On a Catalyst Cloud build of your branch and master, producing a
logs.tar.gz and extracting them, I get the attached diff.  We seem to
build some things more often, but otherwise it all seems reasonable.

I'll confirm the config.h files after lunch.

Finally, I've made comments in the gitlab branch.  Please read them
before overwriting the branch.

In short, I would like to have an instruction on how to dump a pristine
waf from a well-known URL on the top and see no diff, so I don't have
to review that.  Otherwise I just found little niggles and rebase
errors.

I'm just as keen as you are to get this in, so please focus on
addressing the concerns rather than a perfect patch stream, as we must
not let this slide.  Once development continues this will break, so we
need to land it.

If you can get ita to sign his commits that would be great, otherwise
sign them yourself and link to where he clearly contributed them on
github.

Thanks for all the hard work here!

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba