samba-tool domain backup and xattrs

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Apr 9 10:08:31 UTC 2018

On Mon, 09 Apr 2018 21:27:25 +1200
Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2018-04-09 at 09:11 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
> > No, it says to me that because a Catalyst client wants to do an
> > 'Authoritative' restore, everybody must do so, even though this is
> > totally unnecessary.
> >
> > If you have a good backup of ANY DC, you just need to restore this
> > to the DC it came from (same FQDN, IP) and it will work. Yes, you
> > will have to remove all the other dead DCs and seize the FSMO
> > roles, but it would work.
>
> Now I'm confused, Isn't what you describe just what metze asked for
> and what I've said we are implementing?

No, I am talking about a proper process:

Run the restore script, which will do nothing if other DCs are detected.
If no other DCs, restore the DC.
Run (separately) 'samba-tool domain demote --remove-other-dead-server='
for any other DCs (no point in re-inventing the wheel)
Check FSMO roles and seize any not held by this DC.

You will then have a working DC (provided the backup was taken from a
'good' DC)

> Beyond that I think perhaps we should park this in any case until
> Aaron has a chance to finish his tool.  He is working on the xattr
> requirement and I'm very glad this was raised as it was overlooked at
> the requirements stage.

I do hope he going to change the very large mistake that is in the
previously version posted, the one that makes the 'sh' script useless
to distros.

Rowland