samba-tool domain backup and xattrs

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Apr 9 10:40:15 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-04-09 at 11:08 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:

> I do hope he going to change the very large mistake that is in the
> previously version posted, the one that makes the 'sh' script useless
> to distros.

Rowland,

Can you elaborate on this?

To be clear, the locking on the sh script is unsafe.  It was written
before we understood the need for global locking of the sam.ldb, so
needs to be replaced.

Unsafe locking, particularly of the type seen here (because the per-db
and per-record locks are still respected) is dangerous because it
appears to work most of the time, but can be subtly corrupt.

Thanks,