Patch: Implement FSCTL_LMR_REQUEST_RESILIENCY

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Oct 9 17:45:28 MDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 02:45:04PM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 7:29 AM, Richard Sharpe
> <realrichardsharpe at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > There are indications that HyperV requires the server to implement
> > FSCTL_LMR_REQUEST_RESILIENCY, so I have a proposed implementation of
> > it.
> >
> > Attached is a patch for both FSCTL_LMR_REQUEST_RESILIENCY and a small
> > torture test for it (doesn't do much as yet.)
> >
> > Eventually, we will also have to deal with the GUID-tagged blob that
> > is an Extra Info (Extra Create Parameter) that was in the CREATE
> > request that precedes the FSCTL as well, I imagine.
>
> While we are arguing about all the abstruse technical details, the
> people I did this work for have reported that this change, along with
> one other thing, seems to be enough to have HyperV create a Virtual
> Disk on a Samba server, start the VM and install Windows.

That's *perfect* ! There are a lot of people who
have been waiting for this, so I'm really happy
you helped get this working !

Of course the "abstruse technical details" are the
bits that are going to make Samba -> Samba HyperV
live migration work, but it's still a great step
forward :-).

> I hope to be able to write up the steps involved soon.

Yeah, please get this into a wiki. There are many
OEMs who will want to start playing with this
asap.

Cheers,

	Jeremy.