Samba project aspirant for GSOC 2014

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 14:41:37 MDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 10:09 AM, Saket Sinha <saket.sinha89 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> Please find my response inline.
>
>>>        Based on our previous discussions , I have submitted a proposal
>>> for the project "VFS change notification support" on Google
>>> Melagne which is present at -
>>>
>>> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/student/google/gsoc2014/disdi/5771972189356032
>>>

>> That URL gives me:
>>
>>     "You are not logged in as the user in the URL."
>>
>> Is there a public link to it of some sort?
>
> Though I have set the visibility of my project proposal to PUBLIC,
> still I guess the organization members(those having Samba organization
> access on Google Melagne) only can view the proposal. In order to
> enable everyone to have a view on the same, I am copy pasting the
> content of my proposal below.
>
>  Kindly feel free for suggesting any modifications/objection/improvement-
>
> Project Name -VFS change notification support
> Student--SAKET SINHA
>
> Short description: Inotify (inode notify) is a Linux kernel subsystem
> that acts to extend filesystems to notice changes to the filesystem,
> and report those changes to applications.
>
> Additional info:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/SoC/Ideas#VFS_change_notification_support
>
> GOAL OF THE PROJECT -   Add inotify support to CIFS/SMB2 to
> automatically update directory views, reload configuration files, log
> changes, backup, synchronize, and upload.

Maybe I am missing something here, but what is the project here?

Is it:

1. To modify the Samba VFS to support change notify if the underlying
file system supports it? In this case, it is my understanding that the
VFS already contains such support.

2. To modify the CIFSFS to pass through change-notify events to
inotify requests that applications might be using?

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe