allow dns updates on samba4

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Mon Jan 27 03:54:21 MST 2014

On 24/01/14 21:11, Carlos Miguel Bustillo Rdguez wrote:

Hi Carlos,

> When I join a Windows client to my domain, if this client are located
> out of 192.168.1.0/24 subnet it is not able to add its IP address to DNS
> automatically. To solve this I had to add to my smb.conf (thanks to Chan
> Min Wai <dcmwai at gmail.com>):
>
> allow dns updates = nonsecure

I'm a bit confused here. What DNS backend are you using? As far as I can
tell, the "allow dns updates" directive in smb.conf is only used by the
internal dns. Yet, in the other thread you mentioned you were using BIND
9.8.4.

With the internal DNS, as long as the appropriate subnet is created in
AD, clients should be able to make updates to that subnet. If this is
your scenario and it's not working, please let me know.

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin