allow dns updates on samba4

Carlos Miguel Bustillo Rdguez cbustillo at uclv.edu.cu
Mon Jan 27 20:46:33 MST 2014

Hi Kai:

> I'm a bit confused here. What DNS backend are you using? As far as I can
> tell, the "allow dns updates" directive in smb.conf is only used by the
> internal dns. Yet, in the other thread you mentioned you were using BIND
> 9.8.4.
I forgot to mention the initially I was using bind_dlz backend, then I
change to internal dns backend. As you say the "allow dns updates"
directive in smb.conf in only used by the internal dns.

> With the internal DNS, as long as the appropriate subnet is created in
> AD, clients should be able to make updates to that subnet. If this is
> your scenario and it's not working, please let me know.
I create the subnet in AD, using "Active Directory Sites and Services"
in a workstations with Remote Server Administration Tools. I made the
test with internal dns and bind_dlz backend, but dynamic dns updates
don't work. The only way that it works is setting "allow dns updates =
nonsecure" in smb.conf when I using internal dns backend.

While the clients are in the same subnet of Samba DC, there is no problems.

Is possible if the clock between DC and client are not synchronized, the
dynamic dns updates don't work?

Thanks for your time.

Regards, Carlos