Winbindd using 100% of CPU. Any solution?

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 08:12:21 MST 2014

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 2:12 AM, Volker Lendecke
<Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 04, 2014 at 11:04:41AM -0800, Richard Sharpe wrote:
>> So many red herrings.
>>
>> Here is the problem in my case.
>>
>> For some reason, in this customer's case, they have a domain called
>> EXCHANGE and one called XCHANGE, but both seem to have the same DNS
>> name (xchange.some.dom). One of them seems permanently offline as
>> well, but that does not matter here.
>>
>> When we get the list of trusted domains, some times, we already have
>> one of them, EXCHANGE, and we receive an entry for XCHANGE (I think it
>> happens in that order.) We search for the domain in
>> rescan_forest_trusts, but the search routine doesn't find it. However,
>> add_trusted_domain does find the existing one because it also compares
>> the alt_name (dns_name passed in) and returns the other entry. We then
>> call setup_domain_child on that domain, which calls setup_child.
>>
>> In setup_child we do:
>>
>>         child->sock = -1;
>>         child->domain = domain;
>>
>> which then causes us to call fork_domain_child in
>> wb_child_request_trigger and bang, we insert the same entry again and
>> corrupt the list.
>
> "the list" -- you mean we corrupt the _domain_list variable?
> I can believe that we add invalid entries with weird names,
> but I failed to see yet how we can corrupt the doubly linked
> list itself. We only call DLIST_ADD on a freshly malloced
> structure. Am I missing something?

Because that weird pair of domains with the same DNS address probably
violates one of our assumptions, setup_domain_child can return with an
existing entry that looks like it has been freshly TALLOC'd and we
re-insert it.

I have managed to re-contact the initial reporter of this problem and
am trying to track down how they managed to get such an AD config so
we can repro it.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe