Windows 7 fails to join Samba 4 AD - about to give up on samba4 as NOT WORKING

Mauro M. mm12 at ezplanet.net
Fri Sep 13 12:19:15 CEST 2013

Hello Stefan,

Thank you for your kind reply.
Please see my answers below.

On Fri, September 13, 2013 10:20 am, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:

>> The installation passed all the tests as in the wiki but the following:
>> $
>> host -t A samba.samdom.example.com.
>
> Which nameserver is used in /etc/resolv.conf?
> It should use Samba itself.

I confirm that it is. I have set it as 127.0.0.1 I have tried with the
host IP address to (which does not really make any difference if the
network card is up and connected).

>> which failed at which point I have followed the instructions on the DNS
>> wiki page and I have created the missing samba.samdom.example.com. entry
>
> On what server?

On the samba server using samba-tool dns add ...
Also I have configured the windows client to point to the samba server
only as DNS server.

>> After several unsuccesful attempts starting over and over to follow the
>> instructions in the wiki I have realized that the reverse DNS zone was
>> not
>> created automatically. So I have created it manually and added the
>> samba4
>> DC server PTR record.
>
> That should not be needed. What nameserver does the windows client use?
> It should use Samba or the used dns server should forward
> sambadom.example.com to
> Samba.

I thought so, but it was worth a try as I do not know where else to look.

Is there anything else that I should look at? Is there any requirement to
run other Linux services alongside samba? I am now running this on a test
server with vanilla CentOS 6.4 and the standard configuration coming with
a Live DVD install.

Thank you.

Mauro