Windows 7 fails to join Samba 4 AD - about to give up on samba4 as NOT WORKING

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Fri Sep 13 11:20:49 CEST 2013

Am 13.09.2013 11:09, schrieb Mauro M.:
> Hello again,
>
> I have received only one suggestion and tried it without success. Please
> could anyone help with this issue? I would not want to give up samba4
> altogether as my only other next step is to remove it because it does not
> work.
>
> I am afraid I do need help with Windows 7 joining a samba4 DC domain.
> Every time I try I do get the following error from Windows 7 when
> attempting to join:

> The following error occurred attempting to join the domain
> "samdom.example.com"
>
> The specified network name  is no longer available

> I have just followed the instructions in the samba4 wiki:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO
>
> My Operating system is CentOS 6.4 x86_64
>
> I have installed the packages from sernet (link in the wiki) making sure
> that no other samba package was present at the same time, then I have
> followed all the instructions in the wiki.
>
> on the samba4 server DC:
> iptables is disabled
> ntpd is running and configured to accept queries from local subnet
> resolv.conf points to 127.0.0.1 (tests confirm samba DNS responding)
>
> samba daemons are running as:
> /usr/sbin/samba -d 5 -D  (14 instances)
> /usr/sbin/smbd --option=server role check:inhibit=yes --foreground (2
> instances)
>

> The installation passed all the tests as in the wiki but the following: $
> host -t A samba.samdom.example.com.

Which nameserver is used in /etc/resolv.conf?
It should use Samba itself.

> which failed at which point I have followed the instructions on the DNS
> wiki page and I have created the missing samba.samdom.example.com. entry

On what server?

> After several unsuccesful attempts starting over and over to follow the
> instructions in the wiki I have realized that the reverse DNS zone was not
> created automatically. So I have created it manually and added the samba4
> DC server PTR record.

That should not be needed. What nameserver does the windows client use?
It should use Samba or the used dns server should forward
sambadom.example.com to
Samba.

> However again no joy!
>
> The logs do not show any error. The process to join the domain hangs for a
> while after having entered the Administrator's credentials and before
> popping the error window above. From the log I see that the Windows 7
> machine logs in the Administrator successfully. After several entries it
> prints:
>
> [2013/09/12 23:00:25.417151,  3]
> ../source4/smbd/service_stream.c:66(stream_terminate_connection)
>   Terminating connection - 'kdc_tcp_call_loop:
> tstream_read_pdu_blob_recv() - NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED'
> [2013/09/12 23:00:25.417466,  5]
> ../source4/lib/messaging/messaging.c:554(imessaging_cleanup)
>   imessaging: cleaning up /var/lib/samba/private/smbd.tmp/msg/msg.4316.28
> [2013/09/12 23:00:25.417775,  3]
> ../source4/smbd/process_single.c:114(single_terminate)
>   single_terminate: reason[kdc_tcp_call_loop: tstream_read_pdu_blob_recv()
> - NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED]
>
> Which seem to coincide with the time I get the error window above.

That's nothing critical, a client just disconnected.

metze