SUCCESSfull setup

Lazar Krumov lkrumov at gis-sofia.bg
Sat Mar 23 19:57:11 MDT 2013

Hi SAMBA,

I'm very happy to report you, that I followed throughly the instructions:
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO
and successfully setup AD with SAMBA4. I joined one XP machine and will contunie experiment backups, crash/recovery, availability, migration, integration with PAM etc. tests before I go live in Samab4-AD migration.

I had just one minor problem with installing SAMBA4 on Debian. I've installed Debian Wheezy. It comes with Samba4 BETA2. In that BETA not all the functionality works according to the HOWTO. There are missing commands (i.e. samba-tool domain provision ).
That's why I took SAMBA4 packed for Debian from Sernet:
http://ftp.sernet.de/pub/samba4AD/sernet-samba4-appliance/packages/

In the current infrastructure I still use NT4-Domain Controller running on Windows NT4 SP6 with about 150-200 machines and 200-250 users. I was waiting for SAMBA4-AD and finally it's here :)
I've been using SAMBA for many years, since version 1.9. In several other companies I've deployed NT-Style Domain Controller with Samba + OpenLDAP. I intend migrate them also to Samba4-AD.

BIG Thanks to Samba Team !

Kind Regards,
Lazar Krumov
GIS Sofia