About samba 3.0.28 trust AD

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 09:02:51 MDT 2013

On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 7:52 AM, Marc Muehlfeld <samba at marc-muehlfeld.de> wrote:
> Hello Wong,
>
> Am 05.07.2013 11:14, schrieb Wong siu yu:
>>
>> I had a RedHat 5.2 need to trust domain the Windows Server 2008 R2 (forest
>> level 2003). Which package I need to install first? I am using
>> samba-3.0.28
>> but I have no samba-winbind.
>> May I know procedures of trust setting in Linux?
>

> First I would suggest you the following:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/FAQ#How_to_do_or_fix_..._in_an_outdated_Samba_version.3F
>
> For further help, please be a bit more specific what you are planning to do.
> What do you mean by "trust"? Your posting isn't very clear on that. A trust
> between a samba NT4-style domain and windows AD domain?

My suggestion would be to upgrade to a more recent version of RHEL or
CentOS if they don't want RHEL, and thus get a more recent version of
Samba.

I imagine that Mr/Ms Wong is wanting to Join the RHEL system with the
AD domain because Samba 3.0.28 was not capable of forming a domain by
itself, IIRC. In that case, trusts are not needed it would seem,
although I can't recall what issues existed with 3.0.28 in that
regard.

However, you are correct, more info is needed.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe